In 2009, SNCF – responsible for the trains in France – ordered 341 new regional trains larger than the older ones. As the data of many platforms were not updated, the trains were larger than many of them. As a result of this non-accordance between the documents and the reality, 1300 French platforms will undergo works to get adapted to those trains.
The total cost of the reform will be 500M
What’s configuration management?
According to wikipedia, the definition of configuration management is:
“Process for establishing and maintaining consistency of a product’s performance, functional and physical attributes with its requirements, design and operational information throughout its life.”
cthis definition may be omplicated and not clear, according to Yuchun Xu et al., Configuration management in aerospace industry, the configuration management is:
a management discipline that applies technical and administrative direction to the development, production and support lifecycle of a Configuration Item. The discipline is applicable to hardware, software, processed materials, services, and related technical documentation. Configuration Management is an integral part of life-cycle management
Configuration Management is a management discipline that applies technical and administrative direction to the development, production and support lifecycle of a Configuration Item. The discipline is applicable to hardware, software, processed materials, services, and related technical documentation. Configuration Management is an integral part of life-cycle management
A little of history
This is a breif story to understand the context of configaration management, Source: Brouse, Peggy S. Configuration Management
- 1950’s: During the missile race, prototypes were not built under documented basis leading to implementation or duplication of unnecessary items
- 1953 : Department of Defense mandated configuration management for hardware through a bulletin describing the “Engineering Change Proposal” .
- 60 to 90’s:Configuration Management has been often improved to be more embracing. Individual services and industries began to use this reference creating additional individual standards.
- 1995: The International Standards Organization published the ISO 10007 “Quality management systems — Guidelines for configuration management”.
- 2003: It was republished in order to improve the alignment with ISO 9000 family “Quality management systems — Fundamentals and vocabulary”.
- 2020:Configuration Management is facing more and more complex product involving worldwide stakeholders. It has to be fully integrated in IT environment
What’s the purpose of CM?
Nowadays Configuration Management is considered as a very important discipline and it is applied in every domain despite the type of the product,configuration Management acts to avoid that the final product differs from the expected one ensuring the correct production to authorities and customers.
What are Configuration Management processes?
According to ISO 10007 Quality Management Systems – Guidelines for Configuration Management, CM is divided into five processes:
“Seeking to achieve those objectives Configuration Management is divided in 5 processes with specific actions to perform during the product lifecycle.”
those five processes are:
- Configuration Identification ; the main aim of this process is to define the product by identifying its multi-level constituents. It allows to have a common language on the product
- Configuration Audits;the main aim of this process is to Verify the Product which’s an internal process to the company performed in many stages of product lifecycle.
- Configuration Status Accounting – Traceability; the main aim of this process is to Maintain valid the documents in order to be able to provide complete information on configuration and associated responsibilities at any time of the product lifecycle.
- Change Control;the main aim of this process is to Coordinate Activities in order to evaluate the change proposals of the product regarding safety, costs, savings, trade-offs and customer requests.
- And the last one is configuration management planning that aims to coordinate over the four processes.The configuration management planning is the foundation of the Configuration Management Process;
It must coordinate Configuration Management activities between all impacted organization.
Its output is the Configuration Management Plan that will stipulate the way each of the other 4 processes must work.